Your Government does not ask you to give up three square meals a day--nor even one. All it asks is that you eat less of the foods we need to keep the armies going and eat all you want of the other things that we have in plenty.
--U.S Food Administration Official Recipe Book, 1918
The first recipe I attempted to make was Poultry With Peas. It calls for:
- 1 cup cold chicken, duck or turkey, leftover from a roast (I used chicken)
- 1 cup canned peas, or frozen
- 2 tablespoons fat (bacon fat, butter or drippings from poultry roast) (I used bacon fat)
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt fat in a saucepan, add the flour and whisk until brown.
- Whisk in the milk gradually, cook until thick.
- Add the chicken, peas and seasoning.
- Serve over savory rice or biscuits. (I used frozen biscuits)
Overall, the recipe was very simple to cook and doesn't require a lot of advanced knowledge of cooking to make. It took no more than 30 minutes to complete.