- This scent has been produced in Cologne, Germany since 1799, so it can call itself an Eau de Cologne quite literally as a geographical reference
- Bottles were given to members of the German Navy who served aboard U-boats in an attempt to make the submarines smell better. It didn’t work, since they kept bringing the cologne home and giving it away as gifts.
- Their bottle has remained virtually unchanged for 195 years.
- President John F. Kennedy was supposed to have worn it.
- It has a lovely refreshing citrus scent.
- It smells a lot like gin.
- We’re pretty sure it’s full of gin.
- But it’s very pretty.
By Kayla Sutherland,
Associate, Chudnow Museum of Yesteryear